Welcome!

Classic watches, watchmaking, antique tools, history, vintage ephemera and more!

Learn about mechanical timepieces and how they work, the history of the American watch industry and especially all about the Elgin National Watch Company! Check back for new content daily.

Although this is technically a blog, the content is not generally in a time-based sequence. You can find interesting items throughout. Down the page some is an alphabetical word cloud of keywords used here. A great way to dig in is to look through those topics and click anything you find interesting. You'll see all the relevant content.

Here are a few of my favorites!

There are some large images on some posts, so that might impact your load times, bit I think you will find it worth the wait. Thanks for visiting!

Oh, Canada!

A few months ago I received an inquiry about watch repair that asked "where in Toronto are you located?"

This is funny because I am in Portland, Oregon, but I didn't think anything much of it.  I get watches in from all over the world anyway.  But this morning I received another similar email, asking about Toronto.  So this time I asked the sender how they got the idea that I was in Toronto, eh?

It turns out that if one Googles "Elgin pocket watch repair Toronto", one of my pages is at the top of the results!  I have no explanation for this, it's a Google mystery.

Post a Comment

Click "Older Posts" just above for more, or use the archive links right here.

Blog Archive