Classic watches, watchmaking, antique tools, history, vintage ephemera and more!
Learn about mechanical timepieces and how they work, the history of the American watch industry and especially all about the Elgin National Watch Company! Check back for new content daily.
Although this is technically a blog, the content is not generally in a time-based sequence. You can find interesting items throughout. Down the page some is an alphabetical word cloud of keywords used here. A great way to dig in is to look through those topics and click anything you find interesting. You'll see all the relevant content.
Here are a few of my favorites!
There are some large images on some posts, so that might impact your load times, bit I think you will find it worth the wait. Thanks for visiting!
- ► 2017 (100)
- ► 2016 (465)
- Elgin Grade 62, H. Z. Culver
- Database Updated
- Repairing a Loose Pallet Stone
- Is Your Pocketwatch Hard to Wind?
- Seating the Roller Table
- Watch Parts
- A New Type of Animation
- Elgin's Last Dial?
- How a Balance Staff is Replaced
- An 18 Size Elgin, Before and After
- Vintage Machinery, and Pocketwatches
- Elgin Grade 83, Sweep Seconds
- Sweep Wheel Remover
- Unexpected Watchmaker's Marks
- The Train
- An Elgin Grade 293, with Extra Bushings
- Hamilton Watch Company Wins Nation's Highest Award...
- Information Please!
- Employes Honor Swartchild Family
- Watchmakers Legislation As It Looks
- Making A Balance Staff
- ▼ January (22)
- ► 2014 (291)
- ► 2013 (281)
- ► 2012 (406)
- ► 2011 (135)
- ► 2010 (75)
- ► 2009 (96)
- ► 2008 (25)