Wristwatch Conversions

Now and then I get an inquiry about a wristwatch conversion; a vintage pocketwatch movement in a modern wristwatch case. I used to occasionally service items like this, but I stopped long ago when I realized I'd just be replacing the balance staff every year. It's a poor use of new old stock parts the suppley of which won't last forever.

I don't want to sound harsh, I truly don't, people can do as they like with things they own. But I have to say I wish people wouldn't do this. Vintage pocketwatches and wristwatches are different. Pocketwatches were built to rest securely in a vest pocket and will not perform well swinging around on the end of an arm, to say nothing of getting broken by the first knock on the edge of a table. Vintage movements do not include features, invented later, that make practical daily use wristwatches as we think of them today.

The aside, I just don't get the appeal. Why? If you want a wristwatch, please just buy a wristwatch.

No comments:

Blog Archive