This example was made about 1895. It's a 15 jewel version, having jewelled bearings on the pallet.
Classic watches, watchmaking, antique tools, history, vintage ephemera and more!
Learn about mechanical timepieces and how they work, the history of the American watch industry and especially all about the Elgin National Watch Company! Check back for new content daily.
Although this is technically a blog, the content is not generally in a time-based sequence. You can find interesting items throughout. Down the page some is an alphabetical word cloud of keywords used here. A great way to dig in is to look through those topics and click anything you find interesting. You'll see all the relevant content.
Here are a few of my favorites!
There are some large images on some posts, so that might impact your load times, bit I think you will find it worth the wait. Thanks for visiting!
- ► 2017 (111)
- ► 2016 (465)
- ► 2015 (452)
- One Thing About Hairsprings
- An Elgin Grade 148, with a Winding and Setting Pro...
- The Elgin Pocketwatch Database - Now Faster and Mo...
- Waltham Crescent St. 1870
- Elgin Grade 97 Details
- Elgin Grade 2, Animated!
- Elgin Grade 2, and a Crude Click Replacement
- Elgin Grade 2, and a Barrel Problem
- Elgin Grade 10, and An Interesting Dial
- Elgin Grade 59, Animated!
- New Feature!
- Elgin Grade 386 and a Creative Fix
- Greasy Roller
- Elgin Grade 288
- Dial Foot Pins
- Tighening a Key-Wind Pocketwatch Cannon Pinion
- Performance Upgrade
- Elgin Grade 50, Animation
- Elgin Grade 314
- The Elgin Watch Serial Number Site is Updated
- Elgin Grade 244, Three Fingered Bridge
- Elgin Grade 313
- Elgin Grade 92
- An 18 Size Hampden
- Elgin Grade 303
- Elgin Grade 29, Lady Elgin
- Elgin Grade 237
- Elgin Grade 312
- Elgin Grade 206
- Elgin Grade 463
- Elgin Grade 317
- Elgin Movement Serial Numbers Look-up, Updating!
- ▼ June (34)
- ► 2013 (281)
- ► 2012 (406)
- ► 2011 (135)
- ► 2010 (75)
- ► 2009 (96)
- ► 2008 (25)