Welcome!

Classic watches, watchmaking, antique tools, history, vintage ephemera and more!

Learn about mechanical timepieces and how they work, the history of the American watch industry and especially all about the Elgin National Watch Company! Check back for new content daily.

Although this is technically a blog, the content is not generally in a time-based sequence. You can find interesting items throughout. Down the page some is an alphabetical word cloud of keywords used here. A great way to dig in is to look through those topics and click anything you find interesting. You'll see all the relevant content.

Here are a few of my favorites!

There are some large images on some posts, so that might impact your load times, bit I think you will find it worth the wait. Thanks for visiting!

Elgin Announces 1941 Line

From The American Horologist magazine, July 1940

Elgin Announces 1941 Line

Jewelry and watch wholesalers from all over the country were guests of the Elgin National Watch Company for a day during their recent Chicago convention, at which time Elgin introduced its new 1941 models.


T. Albert Potter, president of the watch firm "has host to almost ninety wholesalers who visited the huge plant at Elgin, Illinois, the largest jeweled watch manufacturing factory in the world. The guests spent most of the day going through the factory to observe the technical advances achieved there for producing precision instruments such as watches and clocks on a typically American large scale production basis. In seventysix years before the 1941 line went into production, Elgin manufactured more than 39,000,000 watches. 

In addition to seeing the production methods for 1941 watches. the wholesalers were shown the Elgin Watch Observatory, the only astronomical observatory maintained by any watch firm for the observation, recording and broadcasting time from the stars. They were also entertained by Elgin officials at Mr. Potter's farm situated on the outskirts of Elgin.

Mr. Potter told the visiting wholesalers: "During 1939 we scored a forty-six per cent increase in unit sales over the preceeding year. To date, 1940 has been showing steady gains. 

"Under our plans for the coming year we feel that we will be able to better our previous record. From our experience, American industry seems to have pulled itself from the slump of the depression years. Ours is a thoroughly 100 per cent American organization-96 per cent of our employees are native born and the other 4 per cent are naturalized citizens." Prospects for the coming year were discussed by Mr. Potter and Howard D. Schaeffer, vice president in charge of sales, at a dinner meeting for the wholesalers at the Hotel Baker, in St. Charles, at which the new catalog of 1941 watch models was presented. Examples of each new watch were on display at the meeting.



Post a Comment

Click "Older Posts" just above for more, or use the archive links right here.

Blog Archive