On December 17, 1937, two important anniversaries in the history of the Warren Telechron Company of Ashland, Mass., pioneer electric clock makers, were celebrated at a Christmas party held in Nevins Memorial Hall, Framingham, Mass.
It was just twenty-one years ago that Henry Ellis Warren, president of the company and holder of several scientific awards for his discoveries in electrical engineering, began to produce alternating current electric clocks and ten years ago the first separate Telechron factory was built in Ashland.
The history of the company was depicted in a pageant, "The March of Telechron Time," written and directed by William K. Opdyke, advertising manager. Mr. Warren was then presented with a special bound volume, tracing the history of the Telechron Company and containing the signatures of all the 1200 Telechron employees. The presentation was made by T. Durmer, Mr. Warren's first employee and now the company's chief inspector.
Warren, "a modern New England Edison," not only discovered the principle on which the synchronous electric clock is based but has invented many special devices now used in the Telechron factory for producing clocks and timing mechanisms. The Telechron motor finds scores of uses throughout the country today and, besides operating millions of householrl and commercial clocks, controls the timing in such devices as synchronous traffic lights, air conditioning systems, milk pasteurizers, sporting timers, thermostats, etc.
Warren's "Master Clock," which is now installed on practically all power systems in the United States, controls the speed of the electrical generators. The speed of the generators determines the current cycle from which the Telechron clock takes its measure of time. Warren's Master Clock has thus contributed much to unifying and standardizing the power systems of the country.