From The American Horologist magazine, October 1936
Master Watchmakers Association of Oregon
The editors of TIMEOLOGY wish to inform the watchmakers of the Pacific Northwest that TIMEOLOGY was discontinued for the months of September and October to enable them to contribute to the October issue of THE AMERICAN HOROLOGIST.
Mr. Robert Smith of the B. L. Foote Silversmith arrived home recently from an extended trip to Chicago and New York, returning by way of Los Angeles and San Francisco, which enabled him to inspect the most modern and up-to-date plating and repairing shops and gain first-hand knowledge before purchasing some new equipment and supplies. While in the East he visited his family whom he had not seen in many years.
Oregon is prospering. Several new jewelers have located in Oregon recently from various parts of the country, these being, B. F. Broders, Coquille, Oregon, Hensley & Bickett, North Bend, Oregon, Erwin A. Kern, Silverton, Oregon, Jacob Jordan, Lebanon, Oregon, A. B. Gayner, Molalla, Oregon, and Paul Detert, Newberg, Oregon.
One of the few EXCLUSIVE wholesale material houses still operating on the Pacific Coast is Bernard Italie, Inc. This concern purchased the William Andresen & Co. of Portland, Oregon,
fifteen years ago. After the passing of its president, Mr. Bernard Italie, in January of 1936, the company was reorganized, and now operates as Bernard Italie, Inc., its officers being Houston Holdorf, president, Alice H. Italie, vice-president and secretary, and Esther E. Eckberg, treasurer. Mr. Romain Ringham is manager of the material department, assisted by Howard Peterson.
Butterfield Bros., Portland, Oregon, oldest wholesale jeweleres in the Pacific Northewest,
have enlarged and completely remodeled their store quarters. Their sales and stock rooms now occupy one half of the second floor of the Mohawk Building, where they have been located for the past thirty-six years. All old equipment has been remodeled and new equipment added to better stock and display their many lines of jewelry, silverware, clocks, watches, materials, and optical goods. All merchandise is now located and displayed near large outside windows. In addition, flush ceiling lights are used for illumininating show case displays. The new floor covering of white and brown marble effect adds further to brightness and cheerfulness of the display rooms. Additional space has been alloted to each merchandise department, and many facilities for handling customers' orders have been added. A thoroughly trained and efficient organization of thirty employees are ready in their new quarters to serve the jewelry and optical trade.
The management believes that the future of the jewelry industry and growth of the Pacific Northwest, fully justifies their expansion and modernization program.