CARL KOEHN of Saxe-Weimar started his career first as an engraver on copper plates for maps and coats of arms. He became interested in watchmaking and went to Geneva to perfect himself in that center of fine watchmaking and after acquiring the desired skill returned home and became the watchmaker to the Court of Saxe-Weimar.
Desiring more latitude in producing watches quite to his own judgement, he retired from Patek Philippe in 1891 and bought the establishment of H. R. Ekegren, retaining Mr. Ekegren as chief of manufacture. As was told in "HOROLOGY" of January, Mr. Ekegren's reputation was second to none in the watch world. In addition to Mr. Ekegren's calibres Mr. Koehn added new models of thinner calibre which the world of fashion demanded and many complicated pieces.
His son, Edouard, had a bent toward being a physician but after finishing the college schooling accepted his father's view that he should succeed him. After some law courses at the University which he thought would be useful in business he entered the shop under Mr. Ekegren's superlative instruction. On the death of his father in 1908 he became head of the house and with improvements in methods and the constant and keen supervision produced a high degree of uniformity in precision time pieces of the Geneva quality which certainly has never been excelled.