Welcome!

Classic watches, watchmaking, antique tools, history, vintage ephemera and more!

Learn about mechanical timepieces and how they work, the history of the American watch industry and especially all about the Elgin National Watch Company! Check back for new content daily.

Although this is technically a blog, the content is not generally in a time-based sequence. You can find interesting items throughout. Down the page some is an alphabetical word cloud of keywords used here. A great way to dig in is to look through those topics and click anything you find interesting. You'll see all the relevant content.

Here are a few of my favorites!

There are some large images on some posts, so that might impact your load times, bit I think you will find it worth the wait. Thanks for visiting!

Elgin Advertising, 1925

My paragon of punctuality - keeping time as accurately as the Gray-Beard with the Scythe

One of a series of little biographies of Elgin Watches
WRITTEN BY EMINENT ELGINEERS

Gentle who make pictures and books and plays and such things for the divertissement of their fellows, are not supposed to work by the watch.

But even an artist has appointments to keep, orders to fill, and the 5.15 to catch.  And if he is habitually late for dinner, the cook will not stay.

For many years, I might have been known as a "two watch man."  I carried an opulent, turnip-shaped watch bequeathed to me by an ancestor - and another given me by an associate.  Between the two, by checking one against the other and striking a happy mean, I have managed to secure a fair approximation of time.

But one day, it dawned on me that it might not be economic wisdom to use two implements for the work of one.  So I secured an Elgin - which has since become my paragon of punctuality - keeping time as remorselessly and accurately as the Gray-Beard with the Scythe.
by Charles Dana Gibson
ELGIN
THE WATCH WORD FOR ELEGANCE & EFFICIENCY

Post a Comment

Click "Older Posts" just above for more, or use the archive links right here.

Blog Archive